Dave suspended his campaign Feb 5, 2018. He wrote:
After discussions with family and advisors, I have come to the decision to suspend my campaign for the Democratic nomination for Virginia’s Tenth Congressional District.
As most of you know, I decided to run for Congress for one overriding reason: to resist Donald Trump, his corrupt Administration, and his enablers in Congress, including Barbara Comstock. Those goals will remain at the center of my life.
I will leave you with a few thoughts. I believe that:
1. Trump is in the White House because Putin threw the election to him. It’s that simple and it must never happen again. This is not a partisan issue–it is an American issue. No patriotic American can ever accept foreign interference in our elections. Period.
2. Donald Trump is an evil person. Some people shy away from the word “evil” and prefer to describe him using psychological terms. I think that’s a mistake. I don’t care if his father was mean to him. I don’t care if he had problems with toilet training. It doesn’t matter. I learned long ago that the most important truths to speak are the ones that make people uncomfortable, and this is true. Trump is evil. He really is. He long ago reached the age of responsibility for his actions and his actions have huge moral implications on the most vulnerable among us: the sick, the poor, the stranger in our midst. In fact, I find Trump to be the most perfect embodiment (dare we say “incarnation?”) of not just one, but every single one of the Seven Deadly Sins: Pride. Greed. Lust. Envy. Gluttony. Wrath. Sloth. More importantly, by looking at him in moral, rather than psychological terms, it becomes clear what WE must do. If someone is mentally ill, we naturally try to heal him. But, in the face of evil equipped with great power, we must do something entirely different and that something is RESIST! There is no other option for a moral person.
3. Nothing else matters as much as a Blue Wave in November. I will do everything in my power to enable this.
4. The Trump presidency will not end well, Blue Wave or no. He will not go quietly into that good night. He is even now acting increasingly like a cornered animal, with his family and properties coming under legal and financial threat. If you think he will not hesitate to burn the Constitution to ashes in his throes to consolidate power to defend himself, his family, and his fortune, you have completely misread him. Think the unthinkable and as the Boy Scouts say, “Be Prepared.” Or, as Charles M. Blow said in today’s New York Times, “Buckle up, folks: the ride will get much rougher before it finally comes to an end.”
5. On a much happier note, be certain of this. There will come a day and it will not be that long off. And on that day, I know the sky will be so blue. The birds will sing more sweetly than you’ve ever heard them before. And the coffee. The coffee! It will taste SO good! Because on that day, Donald Trump will no longer be president. Let’s keep imagining that day during the dark times ahead and ensure all our actions are Constitutional, ethical, and non-violent. All’alba vincero! Vincero! Vincero!
6. “Never let a good crisis go to waste.” The Trump presidency represents nothing, if not the greatest threat to the US Constitution since the Civil War. Be prepared with your own positive agenda that focuses on big issues in a post-Trump America. Here’s mine:
a. Tackle global warming. It’s the greatest threat to our home. There is no Planet B.
b. Universal health care. Have you ever met an American that you thought didn’t deserve quality, affordable health care? Yeah, me neither. Let’s make it so.
c. Sanctions against Russia for interfering in our elections and to deter the Kremlin from doing so in the future. I support a complete trade embargo on Moscow. Hit them in the pocketbook.
d. A dramatically re-written and simplified tax code which shifts the burden onto those most able to pay and which closes the “loopholes” which are as a large as a hangar door. A single tax rate for earned or unearned income from any source. The new Republican plan is a travesty that hurts middle class and working Americans. Repeal and replace.
e. Term limits for all Members of Congress. Almost no Members will support this Constitutional Amendment–as you might expect. A Convention of the States will be necessary, but broad majorities of both parties have supported this for decades. Many things will be different in a post-Trump America, and as I said, “Never let a good crisis go to waste.” Let’s do away with professional politicians. Let dedicated patriots serve and then go back home to continue with their private lives and give somebody else a chance to serve. There are qualified people out there willing to serve and I’ve had the pleasure of meeting so many of them!
f. While we’re at it, the Convention can pass Comprehensive Election Finance Reform. Overturn Citizens United. Drastically limit the amount any individual can contribute to any campaign or PAC. No dark money. We’ll never get anywhere without this.
g. New Constitutional language on redistricting. The people should choose their representatives, not the other way around.
h. Comprehensive government ethics. Require ten years of income taxes to be released prior to registration for any Congressional or Presidential race or to serve in a Cabinet position with five years of taxes automatically released after serving. Blind trusts required. To those who say they can’t take the scrutiny, I say, “Don’t serve.” The Nation will limp along without them in power. One can serve the people or serve oneself, but not both.
i. A Balanced Budget Amendment. We’ll have to pay as we go. Let’s never stick our grandkids with bills we don’t want to pay today.
j. Compulsory Voting. Nothing scary here…the Australians have had it for decades. They’ve found that compulsory voting forces the parties to seek support from the political center, not just their respective bases. I can think of nothing better to help heal the divisive, corrosive wounds of Trumpism than a natural herding to the political center.
k. Mandatory National Service for all young Americans. Freedom isn’t free and serving others is a lesson we must inculcate in our young. Remember JFK.
l. Keep America engaged in the world. Our Nation is special. Let it be a beacon to the world again. Alliances are good. A permanent state of war is abnormal and unsustainable. Build bridges, not walls.
I cannot end without expressing my heartfelt thanks to those of you who’ve supporting my candidacy. I will never forget it! God bless you all and God bless the United States of America. See you soon.
David Hanson has made being anti-Trump the centerpiece of his campaign. On is campaign website he states: “I believe the Trump administration represents the most significant threat to American democracy since the Civil War. I will use all methods that are Constitutional, moral, and peaceful to counter this threat.”
Hanson is a retired Navy Captain, a career intelligence officer and Russian specialist.
- Investigate the Trump administration to get to the bottom of Russian interference with the 2016 election
- Affordable healthcare for every citizen.
- Fight for clean air and water and lessen the effects of global warming
Don’t Share Intel with the Bear, bylined by David Hanson (US Naval Institute, June 2017)